In my last post on great book reads, I asked you all for your fiction recommendations and I got a ton of great ideas I thought I’d compile and share here.
As it gets hot outside (at least for those of us in the Western Hemisphere), and especially for those of us (ahem, me), who are nursing and bringing a tiny infant to life, reading becomes far easier than typing when you only ever have one hand free.
(Sometimes I run around the house yelling “Two hands! Two hands! I have two hands!” whenever the baby is sleeping and I can finally do something with more than one hand. Like write! And type! And shower!)
I find that while I’m nursing it’s a nice time to read a few books and dig into the lightness of summertime fiction. Whatever your station in life right now, may you enjoy a great book, preferably on a cool porch in the shady breeze, perhaps with a pint of delicious cold lager, as well.
Also — if you’re on Goodreads and want to share books, add or follow me on Goodreads so we can share book recommendations, ratings, and reviews.
** Summertime 2016 Fiction Recommendations**
I’ve read about half of these books and the rest come from all of your recommendations! If you’ve read one and loved it, send me a note and let me know.
Fiction I’ve recently read:
- Room — by Emily Donaghue
- Ready Player One — by Ernest Cline
- Station 11 — by Emily St John Mandel
- The Magicians — by Lev Grossman
- Americanah — by Chimamanda Ngozi Adiche
I haven’t read the books below yet, but I am looking forward to it. Thank you to Kathy M, Wendy R, Lauren H, Lauren F, Humaira H, Kelli K & everyone for your recommendations.
- Fates and Furies — by Lauren Groff
- Circling the Sun — by Paul McLain
- Pigs in Heaven — by Barbara Kingsolver
- Jimmy Bluefeather — by Kim Heacox
- All the Light We Cannot See — by Anthony Doerr
- An Embarrassment of Mangoes — by Ann Vanderhoof
The Ocean At The End Of The Lane — by Neil Gaiman
Blind Faith — by Ben Elton
Ishmael — by Daniel Quinn
Small Victories: Spotting Improbable Moments of Grace — by Anne Lamott (Not fiction, but great!)
- Grown Up Kind of Pretty — by Joshilyn Jackson
- Snow Crash – by Neal Stephenson
- Roots — by Alex Healy
- When I’m Gone — by Emily Bleeker
- The Moonlit Garden — by Corina Bomann
- Anything by Jhumpa Lahiri
- Earlier fiction by Diana Abu-Jaber
- Lauren Groff
- Anne Enright
- Anne Lamott
Enjoy! It’s time to build that summer reading list.—
Get my monthly newsletter, not available anywhere else: The SKP Monthly.