Well folks, tomorrow’s the first day of October. I AM SO EXCITED! What’s not to love about Fall? From back-to-school shopping specials and pumpkin spice lattes; tail-gaiting at football games (or watching baseball, hockey and soccer); to apple-picking and pumpkin carving; recipes for delicious warm soups, pumpkin pies and breads; mulling spices and ciders; and several brilliant holidays (World Food Day on October 16th, Apple Day on October 21st, Halloween on the 31st,and of course, my birthday, the most important of them all.*)
I’m headed back East to Columbus, Ohio, and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for a few days, where the color changes in the leaves and the beautiful campuses make me homesick for my alma mater. In the spirit of one of the most beautiful seasons – I thought I’d express my thoughts and love of the Fall season in a photo-essay. Among other things, these are the best things about Fall. Welcome to October.
And, of course, here’s the unofficial list: The BEST THINGS about October, v.2010:
- Back to school shopping
- Notebooks, pens, pencils and books
- The time change: better sunrises and sunsets. Winter hiberation (it’s okay! Spring will come!)
- Late night barbecues
- Pumpkins and the color orange
- Fall Harvest and Wine Crush
- Apple Picking, Harvest, Cider, and Apple Pies (I make a mean Apple Pastry).
- Cinnamon spices, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Fall Football games and Tailgating
- Texture and color in the Fall trees dropping their leaves
- Farm harvest: honeybees and produce and champagne, oh my!
- Discount Theme Parks
- Pumpkin bread and pumpkin pie recipes
- Warm soup (My favorite recipes: French Onion with mushrooms, 17 bean, Split-Pea Soup, and Celery-Chicken Stock)
- My Birthday (had to throw that in there)
- World Food Day (um, that is almost as good as my birthday).
- Holiday previews and discount sales on skiing, season passes, and winter lodges.
Get my monthly newsletter, not available anywhere else: The SKP Monthly.