The life goals checklist has been pioneered by many. This is a great way to get to know somebody. I invite you along, although the list may be changing from time to time. I wholeheartedly encourage you to build your own as well.
What do you hope to do in your lifetime?
(For those of you who don’t know me, I like to write my goals and paste them up on walls so I can see them visually – I have a map of post-it’s on my wall at home filled with things I think I want to do. I call a post-it “trying on an idea.” Sometimes (many times, actually), I change my mind and take some things down, add other things. What’s not reflected in the list below is how much it can change …)
… last updated June 2012.
An Unfinished List of Some of My Life Goals.
- A simpler, less chaotic life. (Not less busy, per se, just more ability to be relaxed and present during the whirlwind)
- More focus – understanding why I’m doing what I’m doing.
- More purpose.
- More fun.
- Change, slowly, quickly, often, as much as necessary.
MOVEMENT (Physical + Athletic Goals)
Olympic Distance Triathlon(2009: San Jose International)
- WildFlower Olympic and Long-Distance Triathlon
- 1/2 Ironman
- Ironman (?)
Escape from Alcatraz(6/2008, 6/2010, 4/2011, 5/2011, 7/2011, 8/2011, 10/2011) Tiburon Mile(2010) SF-Berkeley Bay Swim (9 miles) – Relay(Sept 2010) Bay Bridge to Golden Gate Bridge 6 mile Swim(May 2011) P2P 10 Mile Swim (San Quentin to Alcatraz)(June 2011)
- SF-Berkeley Bay Swim (9 miles): solo
- Sausalito to San Francisco swim (6 miles)
- Run a marathon.
- Run 10 half marathons. (7/2010, 6/2011, 4/2012 …)
- Yoga: Teacher Training.
- Modern Dance.
- Hip-Hop Dance.
- Adult Acrobatics + Tumbling: Handstands (for 30 seconds or more), full splits, walkovers
- Break Dancing
- 100 pushups in a day; 50 pushups in a row
- China (Beijing, Shanghai, Great Wall, Yangtze River, Silk Road)
- Taiwan (Taipei)
- South America (Brazil, Chile)
- Central America (
Mexico, Mexico City, Nicaragua, Costa Rica,Panama, Puerto Rico, Honduras)
- Patagonia: backpack
- Horseshoe Bend, Colorado; also Boulder, Colorado
- Africa (South Africa, Central, learn more!)
- Europe (
France [Paris], Germany, Amsterdam,[Heidelberg, Carlsruhe], England [London], Italy, Spain [Barcelona], Switzerland, Greece)
- South Korea (Seoul)
- All 50 States (15 left: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Kansas, Maine, Minnesota, Mississippi,
Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont)
- Writing: become published author of critical thought pieces in Urban Design, Landscape Architecture, Landscape Urbanism. See “writing” section, below
- Coaching Certification.
- Yoga Teacher Training.
- Become a mentor.
- Become location independent.
- Design my own career. (In progress!)
- Lecture + Present:
give a presentation or lecture to 100+ people.
- Installation: publish artwork + design work in a studio or gallery.
- Write my first, second, third … books.
- Write a collection of short stories.
- Author a book on cities, roads + streets (for landscape+urbanism)
- Design and build a website on landscape+urbanism
- Design and build a website about three life lessons (in the works…)
- Write an e-book on writing.
- Finish set of e-books (in the works…)
EXPERIENCES + ADVENTURES
- Live in 10 major cities. (Philadelphia, San Francisco, Columbus).
- Volunteer abroad (for at least 2 months 2013, for at least a year post-30).
- Live in Spain.
- Try out for Survivor.
- Hike part of the Pacific Trail.
- Hike all or part of the Appalachian Trail.
- Take singing lessons and learn how to sing … well.
- Teach myself the Classics (at least an overview);
- Read a book a week (indefinitely);
- Take boxing classes.
- Speech, Debate & Presentations: learn the art of public speaking, and give presentations. Inspire people. Share knowledge well.
- Take Acting Classes (Studio ACT Fall 2010)
- Sign up for Toast Masters
- Give at least 10 Presentations: UVA 4/2012 (100 people), Berkeley 3/2012 (50 people) KA Connect 4/2012 (200 people), WDS, Portland 7/2012, Bold Academy 7/2012
- Learn how to Surf.
( Surfing trip to Santa Cruz, 6/18/2012)
- Take Salsa dancing lessons. Become an intermediate-level salsa dancer.
- Learn German (again).
- Learn Spanish (again).
- Learn French.
- Learn how to play the guitar decently well: (at least 5 campfire songs!)
- Get a piano and re-learn classical songs.
Buy a car.Pay off dumbass car loans ($16K) by January 2013
- Pay off student loans by age 40. (UPDATED: Pay off 1/2 of student loans by age 30.)
Save as much in retirement as in student loans.(YES! January 2012)
- Save $100,000 in retirement+savings accounts by age 30.
Build an Emergency Fund of at least $2500(June 2010)
- Set up a Freedom Fund (6 months of expenses in a high-interest account) .
- Save for retirement based on “The Millionaire Next Door” equation.
- Be at least a millionaire by age 40.
- Worry less about money.
- Make enough money to do everything I want, and invest/inspire/create amazing work with and within other people.
- Travel Fund: Save enough money to take 6 months off work and travel.
Sponsor at least one entrepreneur through Kiva every year(began 2010) Sponsor a child in Honduras every year.(1991 – 2001).